Onychomycosis or popularly known as toenail fungus infection is a known infection these days especially in humid places and in places where fungus are breeding such as in damp areas. This infection is widely caused by tiny organism Tinea Unguium, a kind of fungus that infects both the fingernails and the toenails. But, the fungus spread mostly and fastly in the toenails and these fungi emerge underneath the toenails making it hard to contact and cure.
When you are living in places that are warm, moist, or dark, you are susceptible of having toenail fungus infection. Moreover, when you are fond of wearing close shoes and sandals in warm climate, you will also have the high risk of experiencing toenail fungus infection.
The Causes of Toenail Fungus Infection
There are many reasons why toenail fungus infections, here are some of the reasons and causes of its occurrence:
- When you have sever in your toenails that set off the fungus from entering underneath your toenails.
- Having frail and brittle toenails because of wearing shoes and sandals that are tight-fitting or when you are using same shoes daily without letting them dry first.
- When you are cutting your toenails to the extent of cutting it tremendously close to the skin around it that can cause to cuts and wounds.
- When you are having soggy feet and you are not drying or moisturizing them.
- The Signs and Symptoms of Toenail Fungus Infection Occurrence
At first, the occurrence of toenail fungus infection is not noticeable, but when you will be experiencing the following, you need to do some actions earlier to prevent it while it is not yet spreading.
- Foul smelling toenails.
- Dull toenails with the absence of luster or shine.
- When wearing shoes gets painful
- Toenails experience discoloration
- Weak and brittle toenails
Who is High Risk?
Everyone is high risk of having toenail fungus infection, but these are the most susceptible individuals to suffer toenail fungus infection:
- Those with damp feet
- Individuals wearing close sandals and shoes all the time where there is an absence of airflow
- Those who are using public pools, showers, and bathing places.
- People with weak immune system
- Having history of diabetes/ genetics
- Older people ( with age 60 beyond )
- People living in humid and warm weather
The Most Effective Treatments
These are some of the following treatments that are effective in mitigating the occurrence of the fungus as this is contagious once not treated properly.
- Vinegar. You will need a basin filled with water and add vinegar in it. Soak the affected areas for about 20 minutes. It is required to be done 2 times a day. This is an effective treatment with the infection is just mild and starting.
- Surgery. When severe infection occurs such as bleeding, this is the right time that you need some medical help and surgery is needed.
Having a deeper understanding on the occurrence of toenail fungus infection is needed in order for you to find for the finest means of treating the fungus to keep it from spreading and infecting your other toenails and the skin that surrounds them.
** Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed.