Toenail fungus is an infection of the toenails, which can give you the distraught feeling of mixed embarrassment and pain. This problem is found underneath the nail’s surface, but it can likely cause changes in the appearance of your toenails. Expect that it may cause your toenails to smell foul and appear darker in color. Other than that, debris beneath your nails may also be found.
If you want to get rid of the problem effectively, you should then opt for its prevention. Be reminded that prevention is better than resorting to solving your toenail fungus.
In order to give you tips that work. Here are the following:
- Wash and dry your feet before going to bed. This is best done after a long day of work and before going to bed. After thoroughly washing your feet and drying it, you should try applying a topical antifungal solution on your toenails. This will give you a perfect protection from possible causes of toenail fungus. Furthermore, you will be used to conditioning your feet without the residues of dirt, bacteria, and other infections. Aside from toenail fungus, it is certain that you will also protect your feet from other infections.
- Keep your feet cool and dry. This is helpful if you want to prevent excess moisture in your feet, especially now that you are used to wearing closed shoes. It is indicated that whenever your feet are exposed to sweat and warmness, fungus will likely grow in it. However, it is not indicated that you can walk barefoot in public shows and locker rooms for this may also give you the risk of infection. Still, it is best to protect your feet by wearing protective sandals.
- Wear the right type of socks. Make sure that if you will wear socks, you are letting your feet breathe easily. The best type of socks is dry cotton. It is also best to change them twice or thrice every day to avoid bacterial infection and the buildup of odor.
- Keep your toenails short and trimmed. This is helpful if you want to prevent the buildup of dirt or bacteria underneath your nails, which makes it more prone to infections. The practice will also help your toes heal easily.
- Don’t share your things with others. The things pertained here are nail files, shoes, socks, and nail clippers. This is necessary so that transfer of fungus may be prevented. Other than that, preventing this will also give you a more hygienic approach to your nails, which is what you need.
- Protect your nails from injury. Injury, cuts, and wounds in your nails and skin may be thriving places for the toenail fungus. If you are about to use manicure equipments, make sure that they are disinfected and sterilized.
The given solutions are among the best preventive measures for toenail fungus. Just regularly follow them so that further investment for toenail fungus treatment will also be inhibited. They will not just control toenail fungus development, but also free you from worries in the future.